This is a list of streets in Broxburn and Uphall which have been named after local people or places :
Aitken Orr Drive, Broxburn
Rev. Aitken Orr served as minister of the United Free Church in Broxburn.
Alexander Street, Uphall
Alexander Street was named after Mr William Alexander who was a dairyman. His dairy was located at the west end of Alexander Street, early in the 20th century. It was near to the present Lawson's butcher's shop. His dairy cows grazed in a field at the east end of Alexander Street, roughly where the housing at Burnside Road now stands.
Birkdale Drive, Uphall
Birkdale Drive is part of a housing estate whose streets are named after golf courses in Scotland.
Buchan Road, etc, Broxburn
Named after the Earls of Buchan who were major landowners in the Parish of Uphall.
Burnside Road, Uphall
Burnside Road borders the Brox-burn.
Cardross Avenue, etc. Broxburn
Named after Lord Cardross, a son of the Earls of Buchan who were major landowners in the Parish of Uphall.
Carledubs Crescent, etc. Uphall
The Carledubs housing is named after the farm which stood nearby. Carledubs is possibly derived from "Curling Dubs" - ponds or puddles.
Cleghorn Drive, Broxburn
Major J P Cleghorne (d. 1910) was Head Teacher of the Broxburn Public School for 30 years.
Crossgreen Drive, etc. Uphall
Crossgreen Drive is named after Crossgreen farm. The farmhouse still stands on the Ecclesmachan Road.
Dargai Place, Uphall
Newbigging Craig to the north of Uphall is also known locally as the Dargai Heights. This name originates from a place called Dargai on the North West Frontier of India. The Battle of Dargai took place during the Pathan Revolt in 1897 when the Gordon Highlanders and Gurkha's strormed the Heights of Dargai. Piper Findlater (of the Gordon Highlanders), after being shot through both feet and unable to stand, sat up under heavy fire and continued playing the "Cock o' the North" to encourage his comrades. His gallantry raised an enormous wave of public enthusiasm. He received the V.C. and retired on a pension to his native Aberdeenshire.
Dunn Street, Broxburn
Rev. Charles Dunn served as minister of the North Church, Uphall (Strathbrock St Nicholas).
An old newspaper article attributes the following meaning to the then Councillor Jean Paris - that Fairnfell means 'houses built on a level part'.
Fivestanks Court, etc. Broxburn
Named after Fivestanks Farm. Fivestanks Farm probably owes its origin to the fact that five stanks or fish-ponds were situated nearby to supply the noble families of Kirkhill.
Forkneuk Road, Uphall
Forkneuk Road is named after the farm which stands nearby.
Forrest Walk, Uphall
Named after Rev. Alan Forrest, a former Minister of Uphall South Parish Church.
Freeland Avenue, Broxburn
Believed to be a derivation of the name Freedland. Dr Freedland practiced medicine in Broxburn.
Galloway Crescent, Broxburn
In the vicinity of where Galloway's Farm once stood.
An old newspaper article attributes the following meaning to the then Councillor Jean Paris - that Galmeilen means 'Galloway's Farm, the family of Galloway having been in possession of the farmland on which the scheme is built, for over a century'.
Glebe Road, etc. Uphall
The Glebe housing is built on land which once belonged to St Nicholas Church, Uphall.
Hoban Square, Broxburn
Canon Hoban was a former clergyman of the Roman Catholic Church (Ss John Cantius and Nicholas) in Broxburn.
Holmes Road, Broxburn
Named after Holmes Farm.
Holygate Place / New Holygate, Broxburn
Holy gate means the holy way or road - the road to the Church.
Houstoun Gardens, Uphall
Houstoun Gardens is named after Houstoun House.
Howieson Green, Uphall
Takes its name from Gavin Howieson, a former local Councillor and Justice of the Peace.
Johnston Avenue, Uphall
Johnston Avenue was named after Thomas Johnston, who was an ironmonger. The family shop ceased trading in early 2003.
Joseph Cumming Gardens, Broxburn
Named after Joe Cumming MBE JP, a former Broxburn Councillor and Justice of the Peace.
Joseph Scott Gardens, Broxburn
Dr Alexander Scott (d. 1956) first practiced in Broxburn under Dr Freedland. He also served as physician to the Broxburn Fever Hospital and as surgeon at the Broxburn Oil Works. Upon his passing, his son Dr Joseph Scott took on the practice in Broxburn.
Kelso Street, Broxburn
Kelso Street was named after Dr Kelso, a local doctor.
Kirkhill Park, etc. Broxburn
These streets are located near to Kirkhill House, a former home of the Earls of Buchan. Kirkhill House was built in c. 1590.
Loanfoot Road, etc. Uphall
A lane ran from St Nicholas Church, between fields of corn (Loan means Lane). In otherwords, Loanfoot was at the bottom of the lane from the church.
Loaninghill is named after Old Loaninghill Farm which stood nearby (loaning also means lane).
An old newspaper article attributes the following meaning to the then Councillor Jean Paris - that Lyarthall means 'houses of mixed colours'.
MacFarlane Place, Uphall
MacFarlane Place was named after Maisie MacFarlane, the proprietor of the local newsagent. Until 2019, the family still operated MacFarlane's Newsagents on West Main Street, Uphall.
MacLardy Court, Uphall
MacLardy Court was named after Dr MacLardy, a local doctor.
McLeod Street, Broxburn
McLeod Street is named after Miss McLeod, a former Head Teacher of Broxburn Public School.
Middleton Avenue, etc. Uphall
Middleton Avenue and the surrounding roads were built in the grounds of Middleton Hall.
Named after the the corn mill which was nearby (between the mini-roundabout and the Brox-burn at the west end of Uphall).
Muirfield Drive, Uphall
Muirfield Drive is part of a housing estate whose streets are named after golf courses in Scotland.
Port Buchan, Broxburn
Once a port or jetty on the Union Canal and named after the Earls of Bucham.
Primrose Court, Broxburn
Primrose Court is named after Rev James Primrose who was minister of Broxburn Parish Church. Rev Primrose also wrote the book 'History and Antiquities of the Parish of Uphall'.
Pyothall Road, Broxburn
Pyothall Road is near the location of the old Pyot Hall Farm.
Range Road, Broxburn
Site of the former shooting range.
Ross's Walk, Uphall
Ross's Walk takes its name from Alexander Ross, who was once a grocer in Uphall.
St Andrews Drive, Uphall
St Andrews Drive is part of a housing estate whose streets are named after golf courses in Scotland.
The Stankards housing is named after the farm which stood nearby.
Station Road, Broxburn
The road which led to the former railway station at Drumshoreland.
Station Road, Uphall
The road which leads to the railway station at Uphall Station.
Named after David Stewart Erskine, eleventh Earl Buchan.
Strathbrock Place, Uphall
Strathbrock Castle is said to have occupied land on or near Strathbrock Place.
Thomson Court, etc. Uphall
The housing at Thomson Court, Grove, etc. was named after Dr Thomson, a former local doctor.
Westhall Gardens, Uphall
The housing at Westhall Gardens is west of Middleton Hall.
Wilson Terrace, Broxburn
Named after a former local councillor, Councillor Wilson.
Wyndford Avenue, Uphall
Takes its name from a farm which was a mile or so further north from Wyndford Avenue.