Upon the death of King George V in 1936, the King George's Fields Foundation was setup to promote and assist the provision of playing fields. Grants were available to aid the establishment of playing fields.
There are 3 King George V Fields in West Lothian:
Across the UK, there are in excess of five-hundred fields which are protected by the Fields in Trust. These are identifiable by heraldic plaques that signify their status as a King George's Field. These panels were, and still must be, displayed at the main entrance to the field.
The West Lothian Courier reported on 6 November 1936 "PLAYING FIELDS AT UPHALL: A letter was read from Captain E.S. Stevenson, C.V.O., M.C., Edinburgh. of the National Playing Fields Association, stating that his committee at the moment were not in a position to make grants for playing fields, but they hoped that in course their grants fund would increase and permit them once more to make grants to schemes that were eligible. He had noted the Council's application for assistance, which had been strongly recommended by Mr. Shairp, Houston, Uphall, and Mr. Hog, Newliston". The article states "The chairman reported that along with Mr. Nathaniel and Mr. Muir (clerk) he had met and interviewed Mr. McLagan's agent with the result that it had been agreed to present the ground adjoining Uphall School and Uphall Station School to the District Council. The ground was to be in perpetuity and was not to be given away for any other purpose than public playing fields.". The article further notes "The Council greatly appreciated .... the gift of the fields by Mr. McLagan and it was agreed to make acknowledgment".
On 29 July 1938, under the title "Uphall Playing Field Opening Ceremony" the West Lothian Courier reported "The playing field for school children, situated behind the Uphall Public School, was formally opened on Monday night in beautiful weather. There were present Mr W. M. W. Wilson, Chairman of the District Council, and Mrs Wilson; Messers J. Nicol, C. Young, G. McGee, David McNab, and Wm. Wilkinson. Mr Wilson, who had been on holiday at Oslo and Copenhagan, broke his journey to be present, and to attend to other business.
The field, which extends to three acres, is approached from School Square by a well-made footpath - wall on one side and fence on the other. Here a host of school children were congregated in anticipation of the big event.
When Janitor Wilkinson threw open the gates there was a stampede by hundreds of children for the "amusements" erected at the south-west end of the park, and soon the chute, the whirling platform, the rocking horse, the plank swing, and two sets of ordinary swings were alive with boisterously happy youngsters.".
The West Lothian Courier reported on 9 September 1938 that "A proposal to make an application to King George's Playing Fields Foundation for a grant in respect of the two Uphall playing fields was adopted".
The King George V Park in Uphall, next to Uphall Community Centre, covers an are of 1.88 Hectares and has been protected since April 1939.
On 12 May 1939, the West Lothian Courier reports that "Mr Whiteford intimated that he had received the certified feu charter of the Uphall Playing Field" (Mr Whiteford served as Clerk to Uphall District Council).
- West Lothian Local History Library (West Lothian Courier microfiche archive)